Saturday, February 5, 2011

50 things that make me happy

As much as I'd like to, I cannot take credit for this idea. It actually came from fellow blogger, Kevin (@jlandkev) who made his own list. Its timing was perfect, however, since many people have been telling me I have become too negative in my recent diatribes on Facebook. Using Kevin's lead, I wanted to test my overly-cynical view on life to see if it was possible to come up with 50 things that made me happy. What follows is an honest list, easier to create than I had originally thought. It is in no particular order, as I simply typed whatever came to mind.
This was today's moment of Zen. I encourage each of you to make your own list. (If you check the links, and I suggest you do, be sure to right-click and open them in a new window)


1. My independence. Not being tied to anything or anyone.


2. Football season.


3. New Orleans.


4. Mexican food.


5. When you have a head cold and one side of your nose is plugged up and the "plug" begins to switch sides. The feeling you get when, for about 20 seconds, you have totally unimpaired breathing through both nostrils. 


6. My dog, Cole.


7. Strange coincidences. 


8. Knowing that I can travel to other countries by myself and make it back alive with amazing stories to tell and a strong desire to do it all over again.


9. Waking up from a deep sleep thinking it's almost time for your alarm to go off and then seeing that you've only been asleep for 3 hours and have 5 more to go.


10. Brian's essay at the end of The Breakfast Club


11. Knowing I can die having seen Pink Floyd in concert.


12. Using Facebook as a medium to make people think.


13. Asians who record themselves covering hip hop songs and posting them on Youtube.


14. Grilling out in the winter.


15. Grilling out in the summer.


16. Top 10 lists at the end of every year.


17. Las Vegas.


18. NBC's Thursday night lineup featuring 30Rock, The Office and Community


19. March Madness.


20. Derek Waters' Drunk History videos.


21. Waking up on a Saturday, knowing you have absolutely nothing you have to do.


22. The feeling of a new pair of socks.


23. Drinks and burgers on a warm day at Schooners.


24. The sound and feel of the engine after an oil change.


25. Red meat.


26. OK Go music videos.


27. Watching someone's face light up when I'm about to give them a hi-five since I normally don't give hi-fives.


28. The feel of the golf club when you know you've just hit the perfect drive.


29. Learning new things.


30. Canadian whiskey. 


31. Jimmy V's speech at the 1993 ESPYs.


32. Stick shift.


33. Educating people with my opinion.


34. George Cloony's character in Up in the Air


35. Spinning a basketball on my finger.


36. Eggs, grits, sausage and toast at a diner at 2am.


37. Finding a moment of Zen, or catharsis each day.


38. Matt Damon's NSA monologue from Good Will Hunting. Complete brilliance.


39. Purposely getting lost in a new city for the first time.


40. Telling stories that make people laugh.


41. The word "epic."


42. LOST.


43. Crossing an item off your bucket list.


44. Adding an item to your bucket list.


45. McDonald's fries.


46. Stand up comedy. 


47. Diced tomatoes and/or onions.


48. Having an "I told you so" moment and the person agreeing. Sweet, sweet victory.


49. The Blue Man Group.


50. Writing.

1 comment: