Monday, March 21, 2011

Songs About Travel

CNN Go had a recent article titled the 10 Best Travel Songs of All Time. I was excited to see their list. Sadly, that excitement didn't last long. So after complaining about it on Twitter for a bit, I felt it necessary to produce my own.

Note: This is just a quick, off the top of my head list dealing with songs about traveling. Not songs to travel to (I'll save that for a different time, as there is a big difference.) Feel free to add your own in the comments section below if you feel I have left anything out.

1. Holiday Road. A catchy song from a kick ass movie. Shame on your, CNN Go for missing this. I hear this and I immediately want to head to Wally World and punch a Moose.

2. Holiday. Classic Weezer and an even better travel philosophy. "We're going where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

3. Wendy Clear. "Let's take the boat out on the bay, forget your job for just one day." Yes, Blink182. Let's.

4. Midnight Train to Georgia. Having Gladys Knight and the Pips makes any list better.

5. Ramble On. Led Zeppelin's "I'm goin' round the world, I gotta find my girl" speaks to many a journeyman's reasons.

6. Ramblin' Man. Sometimes it's impossible to try to get the rest of the world to understand your love for traveling, or your reasons for not wanting to be tied to one specific place. This Allman Brothers song gets that. "When it's time for leaving, I hope you'll understand. I was born a ramblin' man."

7. Carolina in My Mind. This is so classic I shouldn't even be commenting on it. When I'm not traveling by foot, I'm traveling by mind. This James Taylor song captures that perfectly.

8. Life is a Highway. From the opening drum beat, who can't like this Tom Cochrane song? Not you.

9. Proud Mary. I linked the CCR version. The Tina and Ike version will do as well. This song is what you'd get if Twain's Huckleberry Finn and Kerouac's On The Road made a musically-gifted baby. Two of my favorite books about freedom and adventure, put to sound. Awesome.

10. Time to Move On. "What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing. But under my feet, baby, grass is growing. It's time to move on. It's time to get going." -Tom Petty.

4 comments:

  1. Southern Cross, CS&N classic about using the Power of the Universe to heal your wounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just re-read this and saw ABOUT travel as opposed to songs I'd listen to WHILE traveling... um... well there's:

    Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
    Up, Up And Away, The Fifth Dimension
    The Travel Song, Shrek

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/tonight-ill-be-staying-here-with-you

    ReplyDelete